Thursday, June 9, 2011

This Little Bloodhound Went to the Market

Everyone enjoys the Lancaster Central Farmers Market and when I say everyone I mean even the teenage bluegrass band (pictured below) and the bloodhound. Even though seeing a bloodhound outside of the police force is a rarity, please don't stare at him for he would like to enjoy his coffee in peace just like the rest of us.
The fact that the rare canine makes it out to market shows just how popular it is. Everyone from our relatives to the hotel staff recommended we stop by last Saturday morning. All the produce is locally grown in the fecund farmland the area is known for. Hey, my cousins don't have a cornfield in their backyard for nothing. There's fruit and fruitful conversation. While my dad and I waited in line to get some homemade dog biscuits for Gatsby, two woman swooped in with their lattes to harangue the baker about the nearby bikram yoga studio in exchange for a bone-shaped peanutbutter dog treat. Who needs twitter when you have these women chirping away about the town happenings? Clearly the market is the place to go if you want to be seen.
For our part, my dad and I scoped out the market for breakfast and found dozens of donuts to choose from. With pretzel shaped glazed donuts or chocolate creamcheese muffins, you could've tried a new one every week. I would gladly go back just to sample all of them, but since we were only in Lancaster for the weekend I settled for an amazing peanutbutter frosted donut.
[My dad's chocolate creamcheese muffin]
Besides seeing my family, the market was the highlight of my trip to Lancaster and would be for any foodie! Expect to see more farmers market posts on this blog throughout the summer for I haven't even made it out to my staple, the St. Paul Farmers Market yet!

6 comments:

  1. TESS, I love these photographs! I'm so happy you are transitioning back into your good old Midwestern life style. (I'm a tad jealous that you're on summer break, lord knows when I will have one of those again!)

    On "Other People We Married" - I don't know that last time I have read a book this quickly. I relate to so many of the stories because they are so honest, so simple, and dripping with human experience. A lot of her stories are about loneliness something that I unfortunately relate to. I want to say that Puttanesca was my favorite thus far, though I feel like I'm going to need to reread these stories to really get a full feel for them.

    oh and it helps that two of her stories are about a character named Franny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! That dog DOES look like he is having a nice little cafe :P

    DUDE, you need to come here and go to Eastern Market! Although, this one seems really awesome. Open market, yummy food, and live music? (live music with cute boys??!) hehehe. I am loving the photos too, you always take the best detail shots, and of food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that there was a bluegrass band! i really need to make it to more farmers markets this summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. KY egg-in-toast is simple. The eggs were from a farm in KY that I brought back from my visit. I have slowly been parceling them out one by one because they are so damn delicious and I met the chickens that made them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't resist a farmer's market. It sounds like you had a great time with your Dad. I always enjoy my visits here. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I keep coming back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tess,

    I knew you'd appreciate the food-age that is happening on my blog, and if you want any recipes, let me know I WILL HOOK YOU UP.

    How strange that I hung out with my blind date twice in one day in two completely different outfits. I tried so hard to look cool and be cool on our first meeting that the crazy ridiculous me exploded in front of him upon our second meeting. He's basically seen the full spectrum in 12 hours. Hope we hang out again soon!

    how's your summer been?

    ReplyDelete