Monday, July 2, 2012

We come from the land of the ice and snow, From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow

 
On most vacations, your biggest concern is remembering to reapply sunscreen. In Iceland, not only do you have to worry about the midnight sun and geysers burning you, but volcanoes erupting, falling into craters, continental rifts, and glaciers. There isn't vacation insurance for this, so bring along your sturdiest hiking shoes and  a hearty viking attitude instead.

THE BLUE LAGOON

 
I know it looks like Lexie and Kathryn are on Neptune, but it's actually the Blue Lagoon. As one of Iceland's famous hot springs, The Blue Lagoon is like a giant hot tub, but one that's totally natural and smells of sulfur.  Consequently, it's like no other spa experience. We covered our faces with a silica mud mask and scrubbed them with volcanic ash all while swimming around in the saltiest hottest natural water I've ever been in.
 
The country's abundance of hot springs is part of the reason the vikings settled in Iceland over a thousand years ago. Today, they are used to heat hot baths throughout Reykjavik, the Icelanders hangover cure, and for controversial thermal energy. 
Who knew something that looked like anti-freeze could be so relaxing?

WHALE WATCHING
 
Whales come in many forms in Iceland. You can either see or eat them, I went for the former. Unfortunately, whaling is totally legal in Iceland and one of the biggest tourist traps. The whaling industry propagates the myth that whale is a national delicacy, so tourists trying to be "authentic"order it and the vicious cycle continues. I prefer whales in the ocean, not on my plate so I went on a whale watching tour instead.
 Despite how we had all paid to go on a whale watching trip, one woman literally shrieked whenever a minke whale surfaced, as if she was shocked they existed. Then again, I've heard that whale watching tours off of other coasts, such as Cape Cod, result more in watching the color variation on the waves than whales, so the fact that we saw five whales in under an hour was quite impressive.
 We also saw a true national delicacy, the puffin. I apologize for the poor photo, I had the wrong lens and the birds are small. One woman on the boat was unpleasantly surprised by this because she mistakenly thought puffins were the size of penguins or maybe she thought they actually were penguins. I don't think they're going to make any inspirational documentaries narrated by Morgan Freeman on puffins anytime soon.
THE GOLDEN CIRCLE
 
After three days of going to Reykjavik art museums depicting the beauty of nature, I thought maybe I actually see it for myself. In half a day, you can see some of Iceland's most stunning natural wonders on The Golden Circle bus tour. Since I rode the school bus for a decade, I'm not usually one for bus tours with their guides who almost sound like robots and tight schedules and this one was no different in that respect. I wasn't sure if my guide was still working on her English or just thought rhetorical questions were effective, but every time she spoke to us she said, "You may be wondering what such and such is..."Well, actually I wasn't, but you might as well tell me now that you're at it. However, the natural wonders made up for it.
  
First, there was the Kerio crater formed by a volcano. When in doubt, everything in Iceland was formed by a volcano.
 Next up was the original geyser, what all geysers get their name from.

 Although geysers are like natural tea kettles and everyone waits for them to spout, it was still delightfully unexpected when it did erupt.

 Even more fun to watch, all the spectators.
 
That's 176-212F.

 The most impressive sight was Gullfoss or the Golden Waterfall.


 On sunny days, there's a double rainbow as you can see, but sadly, I didn't find a pot of gold at either end.
 During the 20th century, they thought about using the waterfall to generate electricity and its owners (can you imagine owning a waterfall?) rented it out to foreign investors to no avail. However, the controversy generated one of Iceland's most romantic heroines, Sigríður Tómasdóttir, who threatened to throw herself into the falls if they proceeded. Now, it's preserved so unsuspecting tourists can accidentally take a tumble if they aren't paying attention.
 Lastly, we stopped at Þingvellir National Park, the sight of the continental rift and the original parliament, coincidence? 
 
The Golden Circle tour ended up being one of my favorite parts of the entire trip because it proved that there really is no country like Iceland. The land almost looks like Mars sometimes. I can't imagine living in a place with active volcanoes, but the Icelanders are hilariously lackadaisical because everything that could've gone wrong in the past decade- eruptions, financial collapse- has and they've survived more stalwart than ever. As the slightly pessimistic bus tour guide said, "Iceland was formed by a volcano, so who knows if we'll be here tomorrow."
The famous and gorgeous Icelandic horses.

Thank you again to Lexie and Kathryn for letting me tag along. You two are the best travel companions I've ever had the pleasure to sight see with. I hope we can gallivant around Europe together in the future.
This is my final post about Iceland. It's almost been an entire month since my trip, yet I'm still blogging about it and could continue to do so, except I have even more photos and stories to share from other travels so perhaps I should write about them next. Expect more posts than usual as I attempt to catch you up on all the stamps in my passport from June.

3 comments:

  1. The Kerio crater looks stunning. Must have been great to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow all of these photos are amazing! Lol, I love the line about Lexie and Kathryn looking like they are on Neptune :P I am glad that you covered so many aspects of your trip and that you guys did some touristy things like whale watching. I would SO be all over that! I love animalas and sea creatures have a way of being both adorable and graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me and my geologist roommate want to go so badly, it really does seem like another planet...

    ReplyDelete